CLASSIC ENCOUNTER: Barnet v Lincoln City 2000/01

Last updated : 03 January 2015 By Jaybee

Since returning to the football league, Barnet had not gained a single point in five meetings with Lincoln City until they defeated the Imps 5-2 in March 2008 at Underhill. Prior to that, the last time that Barnet beat the Imps was in the 2000-01 season which finished so tragically for the Bees with relegation to the Conference. It was in October 2000, with the Bees in 12th place in the league and the two sides met at Underhill. Interestingly with all the talk of Barnet's low gates this season, the attendance for this, Saturday match was only 1642.

The match turned out to be a real classic, though probably not in the eyes of the Lincoln fans. A gale force wind made life difficult for the Bees in the first half as they were playing right into it. Lincoln had the best of the early play and went ahead early with a goal from Gordon which deflected off Warren Goodhind and deceived Danny Naisbitt in the Barnet goal. Barnet fought back and got on top, but it was Lincoln who scored again, against the run of play, when Peacock scored with an unstoppable 20 yard screamer. Gordon then added a third, 2 minutes later beating Naisbitt to a long through ball before tapping into an empty net.

Stuart Niven replied for Barnet in the 28th minute when he scored from 25 yards following a Darren Currie corner. Barnet pressed forward but were unable to score again before half time.

HT: 1-3

Barnet took control of the match in the second half with Lincoln pushed back into their own half. After 53 minutes, warren Goodhind sent a looping header over the Lincoln keeper, Alan Marriot, to make the score 3-2 to Lincoln. Barnet were on fire now and, following a fine run from Sam Stockley, Omar Riza hit a shot that came back off the inside of the post and rolled across the goal, only for Frazer Toms to blaze over.

However, the Bees pressure finally paid off in the 77th minute when Riza picked up a loose ball and dribbled past 4 defenders and scored from an acute angle. Four minutes later, a Darren Currie corner was bundled in by Tony Richards to complete a terrific comeback from three goals down to be leading 4-3.

Despite Lincoln putting pressure on the Barnet defence with lots of long balls into the penalty area, it seemed that the Bees had held on when in time added on for injuries, Mark Arber was adjudged to have fouled a Lincoln player in the penalty area, despite having appeared to have won the ball and clearing it. Despite the Barnet players' protests, the penalty was given, but Danny Naisbitt proved to be the hero of the day as he dived low to his left to save and the Bees held out for a dramatic three points.

FT: 4-3

The next home match also provided seven goals, this time all coming from Barnet, in their demolition of Blackpool, which also saw the arrival as manager of Tony Cottee.

Barnet: Naisbitt, Stockley, Sawyers, Goodhind, Arber, Currie, Doolan, Niven, Toms, Richards, Riza.

Lincoln: Marriott, Barnett, Mayo, Brown, Holmes, Finnigan, Thorpe, Peacock, Schofield (Battersby), Gordon, Walker.