Barnet v Wycombe match report

Last updated : 09 March 2011 By Adam Hern

It was Barnet who started the match the brighter side and they came close to taking the lead in the first minute.  Rossi Jarvis was able to play a low ball through the Wanderer’s defence into the feet of Mark Marshall, but the tricky ex Swindon Town trainee could only see his shot comfortably pushed round the post by the hands of goalkeeper Nikki Bull.

 With 14 minutes on the clock, the Bees had an even better chance to score.  Mark Marshall swung in one of his trademark corners and the ball was met by the head of Clovis Kamdjo and although that original effort was cleared off the line, Joe Devera came storming in but also saw his header denied, this time by the crossbar which was left rattling. 

Throughout the night, the Buckinghamshire side, who looked a constant threat on the counter attack, had their first opportunity to score but Kevin Betsy had his goal bound shot blocked by Kamdjo.

 It was a night where only the hardcore home supporters turned up, and they were almost cheering on 36 minutes.  Mark Byrne was released by Izale McLeod and on the edge of the penalty area the Irish attacker on loan from Nottingham Forest unleashed a swerving drive, but yet again, Nikki Bull was there to the rescue.

 The first and only goal came from the away side in first half stoppage time, and it was a goal of real simplicity.  Chris Westwood managed to lose his marker from a Matt Bloomfield corner and rose highest to head the ball into the corner of the net.  It was a cruel blow for Barnet who until that point looked the more threatening and lively side.

 After the interval, Izale McLeod was gifted a great chance to notch the equalizer.  Stuart Lewis, who had a short spell with the Bees in 2007, decided to play a backward pass to Nikki Bull in goal, but there was not enough pace on the ball which allowed McLeod to come through on goal, but Bull came charging out like a bull to save a week shot which dropped agonizingly wide of the gaping net.

 Five minutes after that Jordan Parkes again released McLeod in the penalty area, but yet again, the keeper stood strong to deny the former £1.5 million man with his legs.

McLeod then tried to turn provider and get an assist.  The ball was bouncing down the touchline and was kept in well by the striker who came up with a powerful cross, but Mark Marshall’s header was poor and sailed wide of the goal.

The pace of the game started to slow down, although Kevin Betsy did manage to come up with a good run which resulted in the Woking born midfielder to fire over from the edge of the area.

 Wycombe had an even better opportunity to double the advantage with 7 minutes of the game remaining.  Chris Westwood again came up with a good in-swinging corner, but this time it was Lewis who was unmarked but his shot hit the woodwork.

 Paul Fairclough made changes, but they came to no avail and there was still time for Rossi Jarvis to pick up a second yellow card in injury time after a supposedly unintentional, although reckless, challenge on Westwood, but this incident did not change the game in any major way.

The Bees now face a relegation battle at relegation rivals Hereford United on Saturday, and are hoping they can convert some of their away draws into wins.

Man of the Match: Mark Marshall