Barnet v Southend United match report

Last updated : 29 January 2011 By Adam Hern

 The Bees started the match with 5 in midfield with Izale McLeod having the responsibility of being the lone striker.

 It was in fact Barnet and McLeod who started the match the better side.  The former Charlton striker had the chance to score as early as the first minute, a good ball over the top by Jordan Parkes found McLeod who was able to shrug of a challenge before having his low shot blocked well by keeper Rhys Evans. 

 With 7 minutes on the clock, the home side had another chances to grab a goal, but after some more good play from Jordan Parkes, Mark Hughes could only see his volley sail over the goal.

 Southend’s first chance fell after 19 minutes.  With a burst of pace and power, Anthony Grant found himself clean through on goal, but Liam O’Brien was able to save Grant’s weak shot with his feet.

 That didn’t seem to unsettle Barnet who continued to put pressure on The Shrimper’s.  In fact, when the away team managed to get their first goal after 25 minutes, it seemingly came totally against the run of play.  Bilel Mohsni, who has recently been converted from a defender to a striker by Paul Sturrock, was able to dink an exquisite ball over the top of Barnet’s defence that found Anthony Grant who had the time and space to guide the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the net past Liam O’Brien. 

 The half time whistle couldn’t arrive soon enough for Barnet.  Sure enough, Paul Fairclough decided to make a more attacking formation at halftime, with Mauro Vilhete and Charlie Taylor coming on to replace Glen Southam and Tommy Fraser respectively.  Meanwhile, Barry Corr came on in place of the injured Graham Coughlan.

 Minutes after the restart, the 1,148 visiting supporters seemed convinced that their team had taken the lead.  Blair Sturrock was able to flick the ball onto Barry Corr who poked the ball into the top corner, only for the linesman on the far side to flag for offside.

 After 51 minutes, some good passing move from Southend resulted with Ryan Hall curling a shot a couple of yards wide of the goal.

 Southend eventually did manage to double the advantage with 67 minutes on the clock, and it was a book full of errors from the Barnet defence.  Liam O’Brien tried to pass a goal kick to Joe Devera, but Anthony Grant managed to intercept the ball which then fell for substitute Barry Corr who calmly rounded O’Brien before slotting the ball into the empty net.  It was not a good moment from the young keeper, recently signed from Portsmouth.

 It now becoming very easy for Southend who where willing to launch the ball aimlessly into Barnet’s half all day long.  They could have even grabbed a third goal after neat possession from Barry Corr lead to the ball falling at the feat of Sturrock who saw his shot fly over the goal.

 The Bees just looked defeated and the closest they came to getting a consolation goal came in injury time when Charlie Taylor headed wide after a decent cross from Mark Marshall down the left wing.

 Paul Fairclough will not be pleased with that result for Barnet as the Bees remain second bottom having played far more matches than the teams above them.

 Barnet now face two away games on the trot at Aldershot and Northampton Town respectively.


Man of the Match : Anthony Grant

 Bees Man of the Match: Jordan Parkes.