Barnet v Morecambe match report

Last updated : 20 March 2011 By Adam Hern

The away side started the match the brighter and looked a constant threat from set pieces.

 But it was Barnet who had the first very good chance of the match after 5 minutes.  Mark Byrne was able chip the ball into the path of Izale McLeod, who despite looking rather composed; hit the crossbar before the ball was eventually cleared to safety.

 On 20 minutes, Barnet were able to take the lead. Sam Deering picked the ball up on the right wing before taking the ball to the bar-line and producing a good low cross which the Morecambe defenders were unable to deal with, and Byrne was there for a simple tap in from 2 yards.

 Minutes later, the Bees almost doubled their advantage.  On loan Crystal Palace fullback Matty Parsons was given time and space to cut inside from the left wing and come up with a driven shot across the face of goal, but with the ball heading towards the far corner of the net, Joe Anyon was forced into a good save to tip the ball round the post.  From the resulting Mark Marshall corner, the ball seemingly dropped at a nice height for Clovis Kamdjo, but the former Reading trainee could only watch his attempt sail over.

 Danny Carlton was the Morecambe player who looked the biggest threat in front of goal and tested Jake Cole’s feet, with a powerful, low shot after half an hour.

 Jordan Parkes then produced a good, left footed driven shot that tested Anyon, but it was indeed the away side that got the next goal.

 Tony Capaldi was given a chance to haul one of specialist long throws into the Barnet penalty area, which was flicked on expertly by Stewart Drummond and found Danny Carlton who was unmarked at the far post and got a vital touch which diverted the ball into the net.  It was a cruel blow for Barnet, but unfortunately, it was just the first long throw that the Shrimps benefited on.

 With 42 minutes on the clock, Tony Capaldi replicated his earlier assist, and after an almighty scramble for possession in the penalty area, Carlton again was able to scramble the ball over the line to send the 378 travelling supporters wild. 

 It was a somewhat entertaining first half, but unfortunately, the excitement levels all seemed to die down after the interval.  But within 3 minutes of the restart, there was a good chance for Carlton to grab his hat trick.  A Kevan Hurst cross found the former Bury striker on the edge of the area, but his attempted lobbed volley seemed to take an age floating in the air before eventually dropping onto the roof of the net.

 On 67 minutes, Morecambe legend Stewart Drummond almost got a goal for himself, but his half volley deflected of Clovis Kamdjo and skidded past the post for a corner,

 Paul Fairclough took advantage of having three substitutions, and one of them, Charlie Taylor, looked a threat inform of goal.  On 85 minutes, fellow substitute Sam Cox rolled the ball to Taylor who let the ball roll across his body, but could only shoot straight at Anyon.

 Taylor came even closer to notching a late equalizing goal 2 minutes after that.  The ball sat up nicely for Taylor, who from a long way out, let the ball drop for the half volley, but again Anyon denied the 25 year old striker, getting his finger tips on the low shot. 

 The game eventually fizzled out to nothing, but Morecambe didn’t mind one bit, as they were able to enjoy their long trip back up to Lancashire with all three points in the bag.

 Next up for the Bees is another journey to Aldershot on Tuesday night, after the first game had to be abandoned at half time due to heavy fog.

 Man of the Match: Danny Carlton

Bees Man of the Match:  Mark Byrne