Barnet 0 Woking 0

Last updated : 08 January 2004 By Footymad Previewer

Both Barnet and Woking appeared to be suffering from New Year hangovers as they cancelled each other out in a dull goalless draw.

The match was televised by Sky, but it was a poor advert for Conference football as both sides seemed content to play the long ball.

Of the two teams, Barnet were the most dangerous in the first half as Barnet manager Martin Allen opted for an attacking 4-3-3 formation with Liam Hatch recalled to the starting line-up alongside Giuliano Grazioli and Ben Strevens.

Hatch was perhaps the difference between the two sides as the lanky striker was able to use his aerial ability to give Barnet good possession in attacking positions.

Meanwhile Woking were missing the physical presence of the suspended Ian Selley and were lightweight in midfield.

The first clear-cut chance of the game fell to Strevens, whose curling right-foot shot was parried away for a corner by Woking goalkeeper Ashley Bayes.

Just before the half hour mark on-loan Watford winger Anthony McNamee looked to curl a free-kick into the top right-hand corner of the goal, but it was deflected wide.

The best chance of the match fell to the Nationwide Conference's top scorer Grazioli, when his diving header from Geoff Pitcher's cross went just wide.

This was to be Grazioli's only real chance of the match as Woking centre-backs Neil Sharp and Jon Boardman made sure he had little service.

Just before half time Barnet lost Hatch after a crude tackle from Woking captain Neil Smith.

Without Hatch Barnet struggled and it was Woking who had the better of the play in the second half with two good chances falling to Steve Ferguson, but on each occasion his shots were deflected wide.

Woking might have won the game late on but the referee, Mr Singh, turned down a penalty appeal after a Barnet player appeared to handle in the box.

Woking manager Glenn Cockerill said: "The referee was the only person in the ground who didn't see it."