PAST TIMES: Accrington Stanley

Last updated : 26 April 2010 By Jaybee

Barnet have met Accrington Stanley a total of 9 times in league competitions, four in the Conference and five times in League Two. Barnet have won three times, Accrington have won 4 games and two have been drawn.

The first time the two sides met was in September 2003 at Underhill, when Barnet were in the early stages of an eight match unbeaten run, winning 7 and drawing the match against Accrington, which ended as  a goalless draw. Danny Naisbitt, in the Barnet goal, had a fine match and his performance played a big part in the Bees gaining a point. Ironically, it turned out to be his last performance in a Barnet shirt, as he was dropped for the next match and left the club soon afterwards. The Barnet team that day was, Naisbitt; Hendon, Plummer, Maddix, King; Williams, Gamble, Yakubu (Taggart), Hogg (Lopez); Grazioli, Strevens. In the return match at Accrington in November, two goals from Paul Mullin gave Accrington a 2-0 win.

The following season, the two sides met at Underhill in November 2004, with Barnet top of the table, four points clear of Carlisle. Barnet were unbeaten in 7 league matches with 4 wins and 3 draws and had only lost 1 out of 16 matches. Barnet extended their unbeaten run to 8 matches with a fine 3-0 win. Simon King put the Bees ahead with a spectacular long range shot after 21 minutes and they went 2-0 up after 57 minutes, when Richard Graham slotted home from Dean Sinclair’s pass. Graham then saw his long ball headed against his own crossbar by the Accrington defender, Flynn, with Liam Hatch running the ball into the net to make it 3-0, two minutes from time.

In the return at Accrington, in February, Barnet, by now 15 points clear at the top of the Conference, had lost at home to Hereford, 2-0 the previous Saturday and their mini slump continued as they were blown away 4-1 by Stanley. Only a fine performance in goal by Scott Tynan prevented an even bigger defeat as two goals from Lee McEvilly and one each for Rory Prendergast and Ian Craney gave Stanley a thoroughly deserved three points. Giuliano Grazioli scored Barnet’s consolation goal.

The Bees, of course, won the Conference that season and promotion to League Two and Accrington followed suit the following season and the two sides met again In August 2006, with Accrington winning their first league match since 1962, by 2-1, with two goals from Romauld Boco. Two minutes from time, Simon King smashed home a loose ball for Barnet’s goal, but Barnet slipped to their third league defeat in the first three games of the season.

The game at Underhill, the following February, saw Accrington complete the double over Barnet. The Bees were 13th and heading for mid table safety, while Accrington were only above the relegation zone on goal difference. Accrington needed the points more and won with goals from Andy Todd and Andrew Procter. Adam Birchall scored for Barnet, who ended the game with 9 men after Barry Cogan and Liam Hatch were sent off.

In 2007/08, when Accrington came to Underhill, in October, the crowd saw one of the best games of the season as Barnet, going into the match in 5th place, were held to a 2-2 draw by a spirited Accrington side. After going a goal down, a wonderful Liam Hatch goal and a first Barnet goal for Sagi Burton looked to have won the game for Barnet, but a Lee Harrison blunder allowed Accrington to draw level and for the 2nd consecutive home game, two points were lost unnecessarily. Ian Craney and Roscoe D’Sane scored Accrington’s goals.

In the return at Accrington, in April, with both sides free of relegation worries, Barnet won at the Interlink Express Stadium for the first time with goals from Neal Bishop and a first ever Barnet goal for Michael Leary giving the Bees a 2-0 win.

Last season, Barnet played Accrington at home in October having just won their first away match of the season the previous week at Grimsby after having taken just one point from their first seven matches. Barnet won the match 2-1 to record their first home win of the season with goals from John O’Flynn, his first for the club and Ismail Yakubu. In the return match at Accrington, the match ended 1-1, Paul Furlong scoring for the Bees, his first for he club. Kenny Gillet was sent off in this match.

In the first meeting of the two clubs in the FA Cup, the first match ended 2-2 last month at the Crown Ground in the 2nd round. Robert Grant and Michael Symes scored for Accrington with Ismail Yakubu and John O'Flynn scoring for the Bees. O'Flynn's goal, a penalty, came deep into time added on. John Miles was sent off for Accrington.

In the replay at Underhill, Barnet gave a very disappointing performance losing 1-0 to Accrington, who won through a Robert Grant goal and so Barnet's FA Cup was over for another season.

Just over a fortnight ago, the two sides met at Underhill in the league. Barnet went 1-0 up through a John O'Flynn penalty after Accrington keepr, Ian Dunbavin had upended albert Adomah. Dunbavin was ent off, but the Bees struggled against 10 man opposition and early in the secong half, Phil Edwards equalised.

Accrington were award a disputed penalty and Clovis Kamdjo was controversially sent off. Jake Cole saved Edwards penalty, but, as the game was nearing the end, Billy Kee scored the winer for Accrington, the game ending 2-1 to the visitors.