PAST TIMES: Aldershot

Last updated : 22 March 2011 By Jaybee

Barnet have met Aldershot Town, and the club's predecessor, Aldershot FC, on 10 occasions, five times in the league, once in the Autoglass Trophy and four times in the Conference. Barnet have won 6 matches, Aldershot have won two and two have been drawn with the Bees scoring a total of 18 goals and conceding 13.

The first time these two clubs met was in November 1991 when Barnet won an Autoglass Trophy Preliminary Round match 3-0 at Underhill with goals from Mark Carter, Roger Willis and Nicky Evans. Just over two months later, the two sides met at the Recreation Ground in a division Four match and Barnet won 1-0, the only goal of the game scored by Carl Hoddle, a wonder strike from 35 yards out. In the return at Underhill, in March, Barnet won 5-0, with two goals from Gary Bull, but Aldershot FC went bust before the end of the season and the records were expunged with Barnet losing all four points.

The next time the two clubs met was in the Nationwide Conference in September 2003, when Aldershot Town came to Underhill, having fought their way up through the lower leagues. Barnet took the lead in the 4th minute with a Ben Strevens goal, Barnet went 2-0 just on the hour through Giuliano Grazioli and held on to win despite a late Tim Sills goal for the Shots. The Barnet side that day was, Forde; Rooney, Plummer, Maddix, Yakubu; Strevens, Gamble, Hogg, Williams; Grazioli, Beadle (Taggart). Aldershot's side included last season's League Two top scorer, Aaron McLean, now with Peterborough.

In the return at the Recreation Ground, the following February, the two sides drew 1-1 with Jude Sterling, also now with Peterborough, grabbing Aldershot a point after the Bees' debut boy, Matt Redmile, signed from Scarborough, had put the Bees ahead in the first half with a header from Joe Gamble's corner.

The following season saw one of the classic games of Barnet's Conference winning season when the two sides met at Aldershot. Grazioli gave the Bees an early lead converting a Liam Hatch header, but Johnny Dixon equalised for the Shots on 15 minutes. Barnet regained the lead in the second half following a wonderful goal from Richard Graham, when he cut in from the wing on a mazy run and then slotted the ball calmly past Nikki Bull in the Shots goal. Nine minutes later and the score was 2-2 when Dixon made it 2-2, but the Bees grabbed all three points when Bull could only punch the ball clear under pressure from Dwane Lee and Simon King smashed the ball home from the edge of the penalty area to make the score 3-2. The day was made even better when news filtered through that Carlisle had lost to York and Barnet had gone 7 points clear. The Barnet team was, Tynan; Hendon, Yakubu, King, Clist; Strevens, Sinclair, Lee, Graham; Grazioli, Hatch.

In the return at Underhill at the end of February, Barnet were 12 points clear but had lost twice in a row to Hereford and Accrington and needed a win to settle their nerves. Goals from Giuliano Grazioli and Ben Strevens gave the Bees a 2-1 win, despite Barnet going down to 10 men following the sending off of Dean Sinclair. Barnet, of course, went on to win the Conference by 12 points.

On Boxing Day in 2008/09, Aldershot beat Barnet for the first time, winning 3-0 at Underhill with Barnet giving, perhaps, their worst performance of the season. Former Bee, Anthony Charles scored for the Shots, their other goals coming from Danny Hylton and Scott Davies. After the match, Paul Fairclough announced that he was standing down after over 4 years as manager of Barnet and Ian Hendon took over as manager following the next game which was at Bournemouth.

The following Easter, the two sides met at Aldershot and played out a 1-1 draw. Barnet had just made sure of League Two safety the previous weekend. Michael Leary scored what turned out to be his last goal for the Bees.

On Boxing Day last season, Aldershot ran out easy 4-0 winners at the Recreation Ground after another poor performance by the Bees. It was the first time that Barnet had lost at Aldershot. However, in the return fixture at Underhill, last February, Barnet turned the tables on the Shots winning 3-0 with two goals from John O'Flynn and one from Micah Hyde.


This season, the two sides met at Underhill on New Years' Day and it was a very disappointing performance from the Bees as Aldershot won 2-1. Izale McLeod scored Barnet's goal. After the game, manager, Mark Stimson had hsi contract terminated.